We are not designed to be isolated and alone. God created us for fellowship with Him and others. When you hear the word church; many instantly associate the word with a building or an organization.
Church is not an organization or a building- it is a living organism made up of believers. The word church comes from the Greek word ecclesia which means ‘the called out ones’. The word is to simply identify those who have separated themselves from the world through a relationship with Jesus Christ.
There are two ways to understand the church.
- The Invisible Church- this represents all Christian believers past, present, and future whose destiny is to live with Jesus in an eternal community of believers. The Bible gives us a metaphor of Jesus being a shepherd and believers being His sheep. ( John 10:27-29)
- The Visible Church- this refers to those who can be seen actively involved in a community of faith where Christians are seeking to grow in their spiritual lives and serve Christ. (Hebrews 10:24-25)
To be a Christian means to be in a relationship with Jesus Christ where you trust and follow Him in all things.
5 Benefits of Church
- Gives you a place to grow (1 Peter 2:2)
- Gives you a place to fellowship (1 John 1:5-7)
- Gives you a place to serve (Ephesians 4:12-13)
- Gives you a place to give back (2 Corinthians 9:7-8)
- Gives you a place to worship (Colossians 3:16, Matthew 18:20)
Thank you for creating us to enjoy each other and our walk with You. I confess that I do not always go to the church building to reap the benefits of being part of a community of believers. Forgive me Jesus and help me to find a church or community to be involved in. Help me to remember that we are the church but we are not created to be alone. Guide me to where You want me to serve, grow, and fellowship in Jesus mighty name I pray.