16 And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Advocate, who will never leave you. 17 He is the Holy Spirit, who leads into all truth. The world cannot receive him, because it isn’t looking for him and doesn’t recognize him. But you know him, because he lives with you now and later will be in you.18 No, I will not abandon you as orphans—I will come to you.
Jesus promised His disciples that they would never be alone; although he would be leaving this world. He promised to send the Holy Spirit to dwell within us– to stay with us through every difficult time. The disciples were in desperate need for a helper (counselor) since their mentor Jesus was no longer available to them in person.
The Holy Spirit has a divine name ‘Spirit of God’ (1 Corinthians 2:11)
The Holy Spirit has these 9 tasks:
- To dwell with us and be in us. (John 14:17)
- To teach the disciples all things. (John 14:26)
- To bring to their remembrance what Jesus said. (John 14:26)
- To testify of Jesus. (John 15:26)
- To convict the world of sin because they do not believe in Jesus (John 16:8-11)
- To convict the world of righteousness because Jesus has gone to His Father and can no longer be seen here (John 16:8-11)
- To convict the world of judgment because the ruler of this world is judged (John 16:8-11)
- To guide the disciples into all truth. (John 16:13)
- To be baptized in the Holy Spirit and receive power to witness throughout the world (Acts 1:5-8)
The Holy Spirit has continued His ministry of conviction and conversion throughout history. Every believer (person born again and accepted Jesus as their Savior) is “sealed with the Holy Spirit of Promise.” (Ephesians 1:13)
From the time you accept Jesus and going forward the Holy Spirit stays with you– giving you help, comfort, and a companion in Jesus. Just because the Holy Spirit is in us does not mean we turn into robots or have no control over our own feelings/actions/words. We are still tempted by sin and will still have days where we fail the test of faith, but when we willfully continue to sin we ‘grieve’ the Holy Spirit. (Ephesians 4:30)
Thank you for sending us the Holy Spirit to be our help and comforter through difficult times. Thank you for giving us Your power through the Holy Spirit. Lord, I pray that Your Holy Spirit would fill each person who is seeking to know you with an overwhelming understanding and peace of Your promises. Lord I pray the Holy Spirit would help to guide me in Your truth and lead me in the way You want me to go. I pray that I would feel and know when the Holy Spirit is speaking to me. I pray that you would help me to turn from my sins and not grieve the Holy Spirit. Lord, Your goodness and blessings are amazing and I am in total awe of You. I pray that the Holy Spirit would help me to boldly testify about Jesus and what the truth in God’s Word says. It is through You alone I am able to walk by faith and not by sight in Jesus mighty name I pray.